Walkthrough of the Welcome Trojans Program
You will receive an email invitation to Welcome Trojans Orientation once we have received your intent to enroll and your commitment deposit. You must make a Welcome Trojans reservation to participate in orientation programming. Watch your USC email for your invitation.
When you make your reservation, select a date and time for the following:
- Course Registration
- On-Campus or Online Orientation
The following are automatically included as part of your reservation:
- Pre-Registration Checklist
- Online Academic Advising
- Trojan Engagement Center
You will be able to add a maximum of two guests to your Welcome Trojans reservation. All reserved guests receive access to the Trojan Engagement Center. If you are attending an On-Campus Orientation event, your guests are welcome to participate. Reservations are required and additional fees may apply.
Course Registration and orientation sessions close when they reach capacity, so do not delay in making your reservation.
Please note: Your Welcome Trojans reservation is not confirmed until you receive your confirmation email!
Extended time for placement exams:
- If necessary, you may request extended time for Math and Chemistry placement exams when making your Welcome Trojans reservation.
- Accommodations approved as part of your Welcome Trojans reservation do not apply to any other exams. All other accommodation requests for the academic year must be submitted to the Office of Student Accessibility Services.
All other accommodation requests:
- You will have the opportunity to enter any accommodation requests when making your Welcome Trojans reservation.
- A representative from the Office of Orientation Programs will contact you to discuss your request further. Be sure to check your USC email.
- All virtual sessions will be live-captioned using Zoom’s auto-captioning feature.
Advising & Registration
Your Pre-Registration Checklist will be available on Blackboard starting May 1.
- This checklist contains information that prepares you for Course Registration.
- Complete your Pre-Registration Checklist prior to Online Academic Advising.
Online Academic Advising
- All academic advising is done online, in an individual or group setting.
- Your academic advisor will contact you to schedule your academic advising appointment, which will take place the week of your reserved Course Registration date.
- Check your USC email often for information from your academic advisor!
- Registration for first-semester classes is completed online for all students.
- Session availability is based on your academic department.
- Web Registration will update your registration time two hours prior to your Course Registration session.
Welcome Trojans Orientation gives you the chance to meet other new students and learn more about life at USC. You can participate in either an On-Campus or an Online Orientation.
Detailed information about your specific orientation will be included in your reminder emails. Be sure to pay close attention to your USC email all summer long!
- Held at the USC University Park Campus.
- Includes the option to add up to two guests to your reservation. Reservations are required for all guests. Fees may apply and must be paid when confirming your reservation.
- Requires participants to be on campus for the entire day. Please do not make travel plans that require you to leave campus early.
- Hosted on Zoom.
- Includes automatic reservation for an On-Campus Meet-and-Greet event during Move-In Day.
Trojan Engagement Center
The Trojan Engagement Center is your central hub for webinars, on-demand videos, virtual student services fairs, and much, much more! You and your reserved guests will be able to access the engagement center starting in May. Plan to visit it frequently throughout the summer as you prepare for your first semester at USC. Keep an eye on your USC email for more information!
Parents & Guests
Welcome Trojans is your and your student’s introduction to the Trojan Family and an important first step in your family’s USC journey! Strong support networks are key to student success, which is why we provide guest-specific programming through the Welcome Trojans experience.
Undergraduate students are encouraged to add up to two guests to their Welcome Trojans Orientation reservation. Guests can be anyone in your student’s support network: parents, guardians, grandparents, adult siblings, aunts, uncles, spouses, or trusted family friends.
Guest Reservation Options
All reserved guests will receive access to the Trojan Engagement Center, as well as regular email updates prior to the start of their student’s first semester.
If your student has chosen to participate in an On-Campus Orientation event, their reserved guests are welcome to participate. Additional fees may apply for guests attending On-Campus Orientation during the summer, so be certain to review the specific reservation details for your student’s term carefully.
Please note: Online Academic Advising, Course Registration, and Online Orientation are student-only sessions.
Please keep in mind that On-Campus Orientation programming is designed for students and adult guests. We do not offer programming for younger siblings or children.
We are not able to provide mobility assistance or translation services for guests at Welcome Trojans sessions. You should be prepared to assist any of your guests who require accommodation. If you have concerns, feel free to contact our office.
All virtual sessions will be live-captioned using Zoom’s auto-captioning feature.
What Guests Learn During Orientation
Transitioning to life at USC can be exciting and stressful all at once. Participating in Welcome Trojans along with your student will help you learn how you can support them as they navigate this time in their life.
Throughout Welcome Trojans, you will learn about academic requirements, student services, housing, transportation, meal plans, student health services, student financial services. You will also have opportunities to meet other Trojan parents, hear from staff and faculty, and make your own connections to the Trojan Family!
Making the Most of Welcome Trojans
The best advice we can give for making the most of your Welcome Trojans experience is to engage with the program and participate fully! Whether you are logging in to a webinar, viewing an on-demand video, or attending On-Campus Orientation, we recommend a distraction-free environment.
On-Campus Orientation Tips
- On-Campus Orientation is a full-day event. Plan to be at USC the whole time. Please do not make travel plans, or schedule meetings or appointments, that require you to leave before the end of orientation.
- You will not attend every session with your student.
- Student-only sessions are an excellent time for your student to engage independently and build relationships with their peers.
- Guest-only sessions are an opportunity for you to meet and talk with other parents and get answers to your questions.
- Take the time to connect with campus resources and staff. Collect business cards. We are your partners in supporting your student during their time at USC and are happy to answer your questions.
- You are welcome to take notes or take pictures of key pieces of information, but keep in mind that nearly all the information presented is available online. If you do not get everything down during the session, you can always follow up on it later.
Advising & Registration Tips
It may be helpful to discuss the following in regards to advisement and course registration so that you and your student are on the same page:
- Students should complete their Pre-Registration Checklist on Blackboard prior to Online Academic Advising.
- Welcome Trojans Online Academic Advising is limited to first-semester course planning. It may be held individually or in a group with other new students in that major.
- During the fall semester, students will meet with their academic advisors one-on-one to discuss their long-term plans.
- First-semester Course Registration is frequently the most challenging. Students should remain flexible and patient.
- Academic advisors are available online during course registration times to ensure that students register for the courses necessary for their degree program. Students should refer to their USC email for information on how to contact their academic advisor during Course Registration.
- Students have until the end of the third week of the semester to add or drop courses, so there will be time to make schedule changes after orientation, but students should consult their academic advisor prior to making changes.
How will I receive my invitation to participate in the Welcome Trojans Orientation program?
You will receive an invitation in your USC email within five to seven business days of submitting your enrollment commitment deposit (or waiver). Please contact our office if you do not receive your email invitation within seven business days of submitting your deposit.
When is Welcome Trojans? How long is it?
Students admitted to the fall semester participate in Welcome Trojans Summer Orientation, with sessions taking place from late May to the end of July.
Students admitted to the spring semester participate in Welcome Trojans Winter Orientation, with sessions taking place from late November to early January. Specific session details are available when you make your reservation.
Do I need to participate in Welcome Trojans if I deferred my admission from a previous semester?
If you did not attend orientation prior to your deferral, you should participate in Welcome Trojans Orientation for academic advisement and course registration.
If you deferred your admission for one or more semesters and attended orientation prior to your deferral, we recommend that you still complete your Welcome Trojans reservation to secure your course registration date and time. Your academic advisor will contact you to complete your registration.
Attending the engagement sessions is optional but recommended, as you will be able to meet other incoming students and receive any updates for the current semester.
What if I need an accommodation in order to participate in Welcome Trojans?
You will have the opportunity to enter any accommodation requests when making your Welcome Trojans reservation. All virtual sessions will be live-captioned using Zoom’s auto-captioning feature.
What if I am not able to register for courses prior to my On-Campus or Online Orientation?
When making your Welcome Trojans reservation, make sure to sign up for an orientation event that occurs after your Course Registration date. Academic advising and course registration take place online for all students. Academic advisors are not available during On-Campus Orientation events.
If a registration hold or other circumstance prevents you from registering for courses, your academic advisor will create a registration plan for you.
What is Welcome Trojans Course Registration?
As part of the orientation process, you will be able to sign up for your first-semester courses. You will have until the end of the third week of classes to make changes to your schedule. You must complete your Pre-Registration Checklist and Online Academic Advising prior to Course Registration.
When does Course Registration begin?
You will register for courses on the date and time you selected when making your Welcome Trojans reservation. Session availability is determined by academic departments. All times are Pacific Time.
The registration permit time displayed in Web Registration will not be updated until the day of your reserved registration date, so don’t worry if the time does not match the one listed in your confirmation email!
Is there a disadvantage to having a later Course Registration date?
Spaces will be will be made available in courses during each Course Registration session, so don’t worry if you selected a later date! Your academic advisor will work with you to make sure that you have a first-semester schedule that meets your degree requirements.
After I register for courses, is it possible to change my schedule before classes begin?
Yes. After you have registered for courses, your registration permit remains open so that you can make changes until the end of the third week of the semester. You will not be able to access Web Registration during other Welcome Trojans Course Registration sessions.
When can I meet one-on-one with an academic advisor?
During Welcome Trojans Orientation, academic advising is limited to first-semester course planning and may be held individually or in groups. Advising appointments are scheduled separately from Course Registration. Your academic advisor will contact you via your USC email address about scheduling your appointment.
Once the semester has begun, you will be able to schedule a longer, one-on-one appointment with your advisor to discuss your long-term academic plans. Academic advising procedures are specific to each academic department, so keep an eye on your USC email for more detailed information from your academic advisor.
Where do I find the academic requirements for my major(s)?
Reviewing academic requirements is an important part of completing the Pre-Registration Checklist. Parents and guests are welcome to refer to department websites for more information, but all students must follow the Pre-Registration Checklist to ensure that they have the most current details for their major.
How do I register for certain classes before I’ve received my AP, IB, or other exam scores?
Your academic advisor can assist you with a recommended course plan that accounts for any pending exam scores. Once USC receives your official scores, you can work with your academic advisor to make any adjustments to your first-semester schedule.
How many units do I enroll in per semester?
Your advisor can help you determine what is right for you. Most students typically enroll in 16 units (four, 4-unit courses). Some majors may have different recommendations.
Tuition is charged at a flat rate for 12 to 18 units, so you may want to enroll in 16 units for your major requirements and then add a 2-unit elective course in a subject of your choice.
How much time should I leave between classes?
Classes generally end 10 to 15 minutes before the hour, which is usually sufficient time for you to make it to your next class. You can check the USC interactive map to find out where buildings are on campus.
Will the majority of first-year classes be held in person, online or both?
Courses are held in person unless otherwise specified in the Schedule of Classes. The university will notify students if the class includes an online onboarding process.
Will I be guaranteed a space if I want to defer enrollment for a semester?
Please direct all questions about deferrals to the Office of Admission.
Tuition & Fees
When should I apply for a student loan?
See the USC Financial Aid website for information.
How do I settle my tuition and fees?
Per university policy, the deadline to settle fees is the Friday before the first day of classes. Refer to the Student Financial Services website for details on how to pay your fee bill.